On French Cuffs and Woven Fabric

Sunday 17 June 2007 | Labels: | |

Dress shirts are a particular favorite of my wardrobe. I may not seem like a shirt aficionado but I have come to appreciate a well fitting shirt carefully put together. Having to wear dress shirts most of my week, I have noticed the different styles and fabric used.

I will discuss some particulars that I like.

First and foremost is the white dress shirt. While framing the face, it also gives off an extremely clean and fresh aura (more so than Irish Spring soap!). Now add a touch of embroidered fabric and you are ready to seize the day!

Next is the French blue dress shirt, which is a standard in any wardrobe. This blue works well because it gives off a deep and rich look about it. The French sure know something when it comes to shirts. You can have patterns that add sophistication, but be wary of lined blue shirts that look like pajamas.

Cuffs and Cuff links - while most of my shirts are the standard button cuffs, there are some that are "convertible". I have not ventured to use cuff links yet but I do agree that they look cool and sophisticated (think of Jame Bond). Keep in mind that cuffs with cuff links can get in the way of eating, since they stick out of the wrists.

French cuffs are very interesting because ... well just because it's French and it sounds foreign. The double folded stiff cuffs frame the wrists (a recurring theme of "framing").

Collar styles - Now there are numerous different styles of collars out there which I won't get into. All I will say is that there are collars with wide and narrow tips. I hear that if you have a round face, you should get the narrow tips, where as if you have a sharp face, then get the wide collar tips... that is if you are wearing a tie. If you don't wear a tie then any style with one button open is good enough. But please! just one button open only.

Patterns - now if its a patterned dress shirt (like diagonal lines), take note of where the fabric panels meet. If its a fine crafted shirt, the pattern will more or less meet up, especially where the arm meets the shoulder panel.

Collar stays - no other purpose than to make your collar tips straight (they slide into the collar tip)... or maybe you can use them to pick locks. Check out these 24 karat gold plated collar stays from: www.ikebeharstore.com

That's it for now.

And no.. I don't wear custom made shirts. Imports from Korea are just fine with me.

Remember to always iron your shirts!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous says:

    ah ... yes, talking about ironing shirts ... there's no mention of that in wedding vows, right?? right??

  2. gear-girl says:

    wow. i didn't realize guys were such high maintenance. :O

  3. hm park says:

    Well right now, my mom irons most of my shirts... I mean actually she irons ALL of my shirts. Hmm, I suppose after I get married the task... nay the honour will fall upon my beautiful beautiful wife! or the dry cleaner =)

  4. Anonymous says:

    Flattery won't get you anywhere!
    Hmph!

  5. soygreentlatte says:

    as much as i love the look of a crisp white shirt, i absolutely despise ironing them (even though martha stewart has taught me how to do it perfectly).

    athos: my advice is to form very strong ties with your local dry cleaner. it will save you & soon-to-be hubby much grief in the future.